I spent the second week of my month long sabbatical fighting a staph infection under my left thigh. 3 nights in the hospital.
First time overnight in a hospital since, well age 15, I think. A good learning time.
What I have learned, so far, as I type this as I am back in the hospital for outpatient antibiotics.
- I am embarrassingly blessed with great healthcare, insurance, friends, and family
- My RN wife loves to poke me with needles – see video below.
- Whitespace/thinking time is valuable
- Little things, germs, can be a big pain, and expense!
- Even hospital personnel respond well to being called by their first names
- Sitting side-saddle is hard
- Psalm 23:2, “He makes me lie down in green pastures . . . “ sometimes literally means makes.
- Being in the hospital puts stress on my family
- Pain medicine is something to be thankful for
- Pain is a tool of humbling
- There is nothing on cable TV
- Not shaving is enjoyable – picture
- Hospital food is amazing