Catalyst - Day 1

I am so glad I made it to Catalyst this year. Only thing missing is Sarah to join me.

This first day was filled with different workshops. I have 8 pages of typed notes from sessions led by Scott McKnight - Perry Noble - Gaby Lyons - Mark Batterson. The best one for me was Perry Noble's. Here are my notes from that session.

Perry Noble – Relook at Calling

Phases of eating – Zaxby’s Chicken Restaurant – out of chicken – all types of chicken
Chicken restaurant without chicken à useless
A church without a vision à useless
What he does to reignite his passion

4 questions he asks

How much time do I spend listening to God?

· To be good leaders à we must be excellent followers
· Consistent, uninterrupted time
· Isaiah 49:1 (NIV)
1 Listen to me, you islands; hear this, you distant nations: Before I was born the Lord called me; from my birth he has made mention of my name.
· There is a lot at stake – so if you don’t want to make mistake – listen to God
Don’t have time? à who called you?
· Whose church are you working in?
· If he is the head à I am not
· We don’t give the marching orders à we receive the marching orders
Get the what in line à the how will come
· Figure out to follow me à not freaking out about what you can’t control anyway
· Moses à “God said to Moses . . . “ à again and again
· Moses was basically clueless à but he listened
· Spent less time worrying à more time listening
We cannot expect the Spirit to lead us professionally/publicly, if we are not yielded to Him privately
· I cannot be faithful to a man I am not listening to

Am I more concerned about being discovered or being developed by God?

· Vision à where are you going
Isaiah 49:2 (NIV)
2 He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.
· Can’t feel the blessings of God on our life too concerned about the blessing on someone else’s life
· Is such and such a church going to offer you a great job!
· Some of Moses best work was when Moses was on the backside desert
· Go when he is ready to bring you into the light à not when you are

Am I believing any lies?

· Running from a goose
· How many stupid things have a I run from in ministry
· God called you – Jesus dies for you à the HS empowered you à and you are running from a lie
·
Is 49:3
Don’t talk yourself out of a blessing from God
· Don’t live week to week!
· Maybe someone close to you left the church à not even nicely
· Run into someone who didn’t like your message – when everyone else did
· Don’t let one person cause you to doubt the blessings of God
· Thinking about quitting – go back to where you are were when God found you!

Am I taking risks or playing it safe?

· When taking risks – you are open to embarrassment
· Putting pride on the line
· Personal à little league all-star game à not allow myself to be voted on
· Greatest people in Bible à took risk, failed, and kept going
Is 49:6 à pretty amazing challenge à Reach entire world